Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Didion

I must say I love Didion.  To pick a few things I am especially fond of Didion's precise description.  "being twenty and twenty-one and even twenty three."  People may wonder why the ages are important but it helps the reader to remember maybe when they were twenty and twenty-one and even twenty-three.  Didion is very good at relating to her readers.  She uses a cute anecdote on the second page of the print out.  "I remember once, one cold bright December..."  The story about the party and "new faces" regarding the previous party where he friend had been in a room of people, five that he had slept with and that he owed money to all but two of the men.  It's a simply story and it may seem insignificant but it works so well.  This is an anecdote that people may be able to relate too and it's funny!  In the next paragraph Didion speaks to her reader and continues to be precise so that we understand exactly what she means.  "I do not mean "love" in any colloquial way, I mean that I was in love with the city..."


My favorite:

"I began to cherish the loneliness of it, the sense that at any given time no one need know where I was or what I was doing."

"I remember one day when someone who did have the West Village number came to pick me up for lunch there, and we both had hangovers, and I cut my finger opening him a beer and burst into tears, and we walked to a Spanish restauraunt and drank bloody Marys and gazpacho until we felt better.  I was not then guilt-ridden about spending afternoons that way, because I still had all the afternoons in the world."

I loved the Blood-blood relation, the blood from cutting herself and the bloody Marys.  It's almost disturbing, seeing the image of the blood from her cut and then the bloody Marys.  So many parts of this sentence are just great.  "because I still had all the afternoons in the world" they both had hangovers, and still drank beer and bloody Marys (though drinking the next day does help) 

lastly, Didion always uses such long sentences but they never seem to wordy.  Her use of commas and "ands" break up the info nicely.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment