Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Conrad

Conrad writes in a middle style I'd say, and using very very long sentences and tons of commas. His sentences are almost too long to fully grasp their content. At times...

"There must have been some glare in the air to interfere with one's sight, because it was only just before the sun left us that my roaming eyes made out beyond the highest ridge of the principal islet of the group something which did away with the solemnity of perfect solitude."

 there is just one comma in this entire sentence, what a mouth-full!  Regardless of how long this sentence is, it reminds me so much of a poem.  It reads smoothly.  But between the word "group" and "something" it is beginning for a pause, a comma, SOMETHING! I had to read over it a few times to figure out what was missing.  I am very curious as to why Conrad would exclude a pause here.  It is definitely reflective of his style.

The next line"

"The tide of darkness flowed on swiftly; and with tropical suddenness a swarm of stars came out above the shadowy earth, while I lingered yet, my hand resting lightly on my ship's rail as if on the shoulder of a trusted friend."

This line reads much more poetic to me.  Conrad's descriptions are great, so beautiful, "with tropical suddenness a swarm of stars came out above the shadowy earth..." this line is lovely.  Conrad effectively shows the reader this scene with lovely imagery.

"My second mate was a round-cheeked, silent young man, grave beyond his years, I thought; but as our eyes happened to meet I detected a slight quiver on his lips.  I looked down at once.  I was not my part to encourage sneering on boards my ship.  It must be said too, that I knew very little of my officers."

He it feels as if Conrad is speaking directly to his reader. "It must be said too..." For me it works because it makes the reader feel as if their understanding of the text is important to the author.  Conrad wants the reader to see the story exactly the way it is.  His style does this effectively.  His imagery, his way of showing rather than just telling, but also including the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment