Monday, November 30, 2009

Douglass

Fredrick Douglass' piece, "Learning to Read and Write" is very and sincere. he is telling a story of his life that is true and does not seem to be "juiced up" in anyways. It's written in a middle style. Douglass does well at engaging the reader and gaining the readers sympathy.

"I often found myself regretting my own existence, and wishing myself dead; and but for the hope of being free, I have no doubt but that I should have killed myself, or done something for which I should have been killed."

This is sad, but it's true, he's not making it up..

"Under its influence, the tender heart became to stone, and the lamblike disposition gave way to one of the tiger-like fierceness."

I really love this line. The link between "lamblike" and "tiger-like" shows two extreme opposites. it's a nice metaphor.

Also the way that he speaks to the reader, he is conscious of what he is saying and how much he is sharing, for example:

"I am strongly tempted to give the names of two or three of those little boys, as a testimonial of the gratitude and affection I bear them: but prudence forbids--not that it would injure me, but that it might embarrass them; for it is almost an unpardonable offense to teach salves to read in this Christian country."

he is showing the reader his feelings, yet being fair to the other boys. he makes it clear that it is not in his benefit not to mention their names, but it is in their benefit if he does not include them.

No comments:

Post a Comment