Sunday, December 6, 2009

Two Drovers

Sir Walter Scott's "Two Drovers" I fond to be very dense, and difficult to get into. He writes in high style. From the very beginning, "It was the day after Doune Fair when my story commences." I'm not sure why this is necessary. I find it even a bit too authoritative. Scott is making sure we know that we are reading HIS story. The language seems to heavy for the content of the story as well.
"He might have increased his business to any extent had he condescended to manage it by deputy; but except a lad or two, sister's sons of his own, Robin rejected the idea of assistance, conscious, perhaps, how much his reputation depended of his duty in every instance."
It's too wordy, and it is hard to comprehend. This text literally gives me a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment